Submit Your Article CMED MEACR meeting
Home Print this page Email this page Users Online: 507
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2015  |  Volume : 4  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 354-361

A critical re-appraisal of diagnostic pitfalls in salivary gland lesions and analysis of cytokeratin 7/cytokeratin 20 as an adjunct in differential diagnosis


1 Department of Pathology, J.N. Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India
2 Department of General Surgery, J.N. Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India
3 Department of Otorhinolaryngology, J.N. Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India

Correspondence Address:
Divya Rabindranath
Department of Pathology, J.N. Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh - 202 002, Uttar Pradesh
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/2278-0513.154277

Rights and Permissions

Background: To study the diagnostic pitfalls in fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) of salivary gland lesions and role of cytokeratin 7 (CK7) and 20 in differentiating various salivary gland neoplasms as an adjunct. Materials and Methods: This study included 230 cases of salivary gland lesions, which underwent FNAC at our hospital, and cyto-histological correlation was possible in 119 cases. False positive and false negative cases were identified taking histology as the gold standard and discrepant results were analyzed. Additionally, immunohistochemical staining for CK7 and 20 was done in 35 representative histological sections (including 33 malignancies and 2 benign lesions). Results: On cytology, benign tumors and nonneoplastic lesions together formed 63% and remaining 37% were malignancies. Cyto-histological correlation showed concordance rate of 80.6% and discordance rate of 19.3% with 14 false negative cases and 9 false positive cases. On immunostaining for CK, 27 of the total 33 malignancies (81.8%) exhibited CK7+/CK20 − profile. All the primary malignancies (24/25) except one were CK7+/CK20−, while majority of the secondary malignancies (5/8, 62.5%) showed CK7−/CK20 − profile. Conclusion: Although the diagnosis of most salivary gland neoplasms does not pose a problem, attention to subtle cytomorphological features and knowledge of common diagnostic pitfalls are essential to reach the correct diagnosis in a few challenging cases. Additionally, CK expression can serve as a useful adjunct to other investigations in cases of salivary gland neoplasms, to differentiate between certain commonly confused entities like, squamous cell carcinoma and high-grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma; and CK20 positive metastatic malignancy and distant unknown primary.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2120    
    Printed53    
    Emailed1    
    PDF Downloaded21    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal